The recent acquisition of two American companies has enabled Endress+Hauser to strengthen its portfolio in the field of analytics, particularly in gas and laboratory analysis. Revolutionary products developed by SpectraSensors and Kaiser Optical Systems are now available in the UK.
SpectraSensors develops, manufactures and markets laser-based gas analysers used in natural gas production, transport, storage and processing, oil refining and in atmospheric monitoring applications. They measure moisture, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide, oxygen, ammonia and other parameters. The benefits of laser spectroscopy are numerous: the analysers are highly accurate, robust and low in maintenance; the devices analyse the measured stream in real time; the laser technology doesn’t need to be calibrated; and the non-contact design makes the sensors immune to contaminants. SpectraSensors’ tunable diode laser (TDL) technology is rapidly being recognised by global energy providers as the preferred optical-based process analytics technology. The company’s products have been adopted by leading global corporations.
Kaiser Optical Systems is a world leader in spectrographic instrumentation and applied holographic technology. Its principal products include Raman instrumentation and advanced holographic components for spectroscopy, telecommunications, astronomy and ultra-fast sciences as well as display systems for aircraft.
Product ranges The SpectraSensors TDL gas analysers provide reliable solutions for fast analysis of moisture, hydrogen sulfide, carbon dioxide, ammonia and acetylene. All the analysers have ATEX certification for installation into Zone 1 and 2 classified areas.
The Kaiser Optical Systems OPTOGRAF II analyser is a multi-component laser analyser using Raman technology to measure gas mixtures such as ‘Syngas’. A range of parameters can be measured including hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and many others.
Advantages and benefits of TDL analysers
• Low cost of ownership: SpectraSensors analysers are virtually maintenance-free. The sensor heads are immune to excess levels of moisture and chemicals such as mercaptans, hydrogen sulfide, glycol, amines and ammonia compounds.
• Accurate and repeatable analysis: SpectraSensors TDL measurements are not affected by normal changes in the background gas concentration.
• No field calibration: SpectraSensors TDL analysers remain calibrated for years due to the proven laser stability.
• Fast response times: SpectraSensors TDL analysers can have a t90 less than two seconds.
• No carrier gases or support gases required: unlike gas chromatographs that require a continuous supply of carrier gas, SSI analysers do not require any support gases. This gives significant OPEX savings.
• No expensive and hazardous consumables for hydrogen sulfide analysis: traditional lead acetate tape hydrogen sulfide analysers give the operators real problems with handling and disposal of the hazardous waste paper material. The SpectraSensors hydrogen sulfide differential analysers use a scrubber with a typical lifetime of five to 10 years.
Complete system build
Complete gas analysis solutions Endress+Hauser has the capability to provide complete gas analysis solutions which include the gas sampling probes, heated transfer lines and gas conditioning equipment in addition to the TDL analyser. It is crucial that the analyser receives a representative sample of the process gas at the sample inlet. To achieve this, the design of all the components from the sample flange to the TDL analyser must be considered carefully.
Sample probe To obtain a representative sample from the process stream it is important that the tip of the sample probe is located in the centre third of the pipeline. Endress+Hauser can supply a sample probe specifically to suit your process conditions. Heated pressure reduction units can be supplied for high pressure applications.
Heated sample line Once the gas exits the sample probe outlet it is very important that the gas is delivered to the SpectraSensors TDL analyser in the same state. To achieve this Endress+Hauser supplies a heated sample line with the internal tubing manufactured from 6mm o.d electropolished stainless steel tubing. This is particularly important when measuring trace levels of moisture and hydrogen sulfide.
Gas conditioning unit Endress+Hauser can design and build gas conditioning units (GCU) to suit the site process conditions so that a representative sample is delivered to the TDL analyser. The enclosure and pressure reduction regulators are heated to eliminate hydrocarbon liquid condensation caused by the Joule-Thomson effect. Low pressure applications do not require a heated enclosure. GCU can be built for Zone 1 and 2 applications with ATEX certification.
Service requirements Even though TDL require minimal maintenance we can provide all the service support required. In addition we can offer training to support your on-site instrument technicians. A mixture of classroom theory and practical hands-on training provides technicians with a good introduction to the SpectraSensors TDL analysers.
• Natural gas industry
– Custody transfer points – H2O/H2S and CO2
– Dryer process control – H2O
– Scrubber plant efficiency monitoring – H2S
– Ethylene purity verification – NH3 /C2H2 and H2O
– Propylene purity verification – H2O
– Back-end acetylene convertor inlet – C2H2
– Back-end acetylene convertor outlet – C2H2
– Flare gas – H2S
– Fuel gas – H2S
– Propane/propylene mixture purity verification – H2O
– UOP catalytic reformer-hydrogen recycle – H2O
For more information about our analytical product range email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0161 286 5050